Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thoughts on the Academy Awards

For the past few years, I have set out to watch all of the Academy Award Best Picture nominations prior to the Oscars. Somehow the awards night snuck up on me and I always seemed to miss a film or two. Not this year!

I have seen all 10 of the movies nominated for Best Picture this year. I agree strongly with some of the nominations and am left wondering what the Academy was smoking for a couple others.

Here are my thoughts on each one of the films, in 15 words or less:

Black Swan – Brilliant. Masterfully acted by Portman. Thought about it for days afterward.

The Fighter – Great acting. Good story. Nothing mind blowing.

Inception – Groundbreaking. Incredible screenplay. Talked about it with friends for hours.

The Kids Are All Right – Great acting. Great characters. I felt an emotional connection to all of the characters.

The King’s Speech – Incredibly acted by Firth and Rush. Charming. Wonderful feel good story. Monarchy nerd approved.

127 Hours – Well acted. Interesting. Weird direction and cinematography.

The Social Network – Interesting (if not  mostly fictional) story. Good acting. Nothing to write home about.

Toy Story 3 – Wonderful feel good movie. Great for children and adults alike.

True Grit – Fantastic acting by Steinfeld, Bridges and Damon. Surprisingly funny. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Winter’s Bone – Weird story. Boring. Couldn’t understand the dialogue most times. Good acting by Lawrence.

 

My pick for Best Picture is:

blackswan

My pick for Best Actor is:  Colin Firth.

colinfirth

My pick for Best Actress is: Natalie Portman.

natalieportman

 

What are your picks?

R.

1 comment:

  1. I've only seen 6 of the 10 and am very much in agreement with you re Inception, The Kids are Allright, The King's Speech, The Social Network and Toy Story 3. I found True Grit disappointing - I get the quirky Cohen Bros movies but I found this one just too 'acted', and I didn't care for any of the characters.

    Inception should win something and I'd like to see it take best film but I doubt that'll happen and The King's Speech and Black Swan are likely to scoop the top awards.

    ReplyDelete