Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

The ‘Boyfriend’ Salad

I’ve noticed a trend as of late for oversized or comfy clothes being classified as the ‘boyfriend’ blazer or ‘boyfriend’ jeans.

boyfriendblazer boyfriend-jeans

The idea is that you’re taking items your boyfriend would wear and pairing them with more feminine pieces to create an eye catching outfit.

How does this relate to cooking in the slightest?

I don’t know about anyone else, but my boyfriend likes steak. Likes is probably an understatement actually, he would be glad to eat red meat for every meal! Throw in some garlic toast and potatoes and he’s in heaven!

I definitely enjoy the odd ‘steak and potatoes’ meal, but most of the time I try to mix things up.  In order to maintain my healthy weight, I try to sneak in as many vegetables into any meal as I can.

The best of both worlds??? …… Steak Salad!!

Or…. as I’ve lovingly dubbed it:

 The ‘Boyfriend’ Salad*

Grilled Steak Salad with Balsamic Blue Cheese Dressing

P1010782

 Ingredients:

2 small grilling steaks (cut of your choice) – We used one giant Brontosaurus steak from Costco and cut it in half.                                                                                                              

6 asparagus stems, cut into bite sized pieces

1 cup mushrooms, sliced

4 cups baby spinach

1 cup snow peas, trimmed

1 small red bell pepper, sliced

1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled

 Dressing:

2 tbsp. low-fat balsamic dressing

1 tbsp.  blue cheese, crumbled

 

Season steaks with salt and pepper (or steak spice). Heat a pan to medium-high heat and drop in the steaks – you should hear a sizzle.

Heat a second pan to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add asparagus. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes until asparagus becomes slightly more tender. Add mushrooms. Cook for 3 more minutes until mushrooms are sautéed, adding more cooking spray if necessary.

Divide the baby spinach onto two plates. Distribute the bell pepper, snow peas, asparagus and mushrooms.

Once steak is prepared to desired doneness, cover with aluminum foil and let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice into strips and place on top of the salad.  Add feta cheese.

To make the dressing, combine balsamic dressing and blue cheese into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Note: This dressing is strong. I recommend that it is served on the side.

Boyfriend Approved!

* This salad can be enjoyed by most anyone. Consumption is not limited to boyfriends. :)

 

R.

1 comment:

  1. If relationships are all about compromise (and they ARE all about compromise), then this sounds like the perfect solution.

    My case is a bit complicated, because I'm a vegetarian and my BF is a meat-eater. Still, I like to make dishes where the meat can be easily added or subtracted.

    ReplyDelete